SAGIC HONOURS ROLL
MOTIVATION & CRITERIA
SAGIC has an Awards of Excellence or Honorary Life membership system in place that will recognize and reward those individuals that have excelled themselves and have made significant contributions to our industry.
We believe there are several people that are worthy of recognition and this is not something that we wish to do on a posthumous basis.Let us recognize these people sooner rather than later.
The following set of criteria has been approved by the SAGIC EXCO, and nominations for Membership of the SAGIC Honours Roll will be called for annually, prior to Convention:
- Awarded to an individual for his/her contribution to the green industry and not necessarily limited to SAGIC members;
- Nominations must be in writing, supported by a minimum of 50 words of motivation, describing specifically the nature of his/her contribution;
- The contribution should be tangible/measurable for inter alia award-winning projects, length of service to the industry (10 years plus), support of SAGIC, support through media, environmental contributions and so on;
- The award in the form of a certificate must be presented at a SAGIC Awards function that has prestige such as the annual convention, and the 50 word motivation will be used as presentation material by the awards presenter;
- This is an exclusive award, and it is envisaged that only 1, 2 or 3 nominations would be added on an annual basis
- The SAGIC EXCO must approve in a majority (51%) the nomination/s for this award;
- SAGIC must fund the award and the attendance of the person(s) and a partner to the function. Accommodation and travel could be for the individual or national association’s account;
- The SAGIC EXCO must use their discretion in the event of an individual being nominated who has in the past been declared insolvent, sequestrated or liquidated and a minimum of 5 years should be allowed as a rehabilitation period.
Honour's Roll: Recipients
- Margaret Roberts(2006)
- Gilbert Briscoe(2006)
- Kay Montgomery(2006)
- Dave Kirkby(2007)
- Val Wamsteker(2007)
- Lynton Johnson(2008)
- Paul Vonk(2008)
- Keith Kirsten(2009)
- Ray Hudson(2010)
- David Davison(2010)
- Ludwig Taschner(2010)
- Hantie Cloete(2010)
- Jan De Waal(2011)
- John Mundell(2011)
- Carol Knoll(2011)
- David Hutton(2011)
- Una van der Spuy(2012)
- Karyn Richards(2013)
- Nancy Gardiner(2013)
"SAGIC Excellence in Training Award" sponsored by STIHL
SAGIC awarded it's first annual award on training in 2011. Several awards are handed outannually at the SAGIC Gala Dinner, but they are all individual association awards.
The training award will be presented annually to an individual or company who has excelled in the filed of training, benefitting the Green Industry.
Nominations with a motivation must be sent to the Chairman. The recipient will be decided by a SAGIC committee majority vote.
- Any individual or company who made an exceptional contribution in the field of training benefiting the Green Industry;
- Recipient must be a member of SAGIC(Participating Association members who are fully paid up on their Association fees are automatically SAGIC members)
- In the event of no nomination it will be in the SAGIC Councils discretion to decide on the recipient;
- Nominations will be called for by the Chairman prior to the annual Convention;
- The award in the form of a certificate and floating trophy must be presented at the SAGIC Awards function that has prestige, such as the annual convention, and the motivation will be used as presentation material by the awards presenter;
- The SAGIC EXCO must select the recipient/s for this award by vote, and the nomination with the majority EXCO vote will be the recipient/s;
- This will be a sponsored award, and the sponsorship term will be three years, with the incumbent sponsor having first option to renew at the SAGIC EXCO approved sponsorship amount. The sponsor has to be a SAGIC Sponsor Partner(Gold or Platinum)
"SAGIC Excellence in Training Award" sponsored by STIHL: Recipients
- Dr Di Goodwin(2011)
- Bob Carrington (2012)
- Hans Sittig & Servest Landscaping(2013)
SAGIC Convention 2013
The 2013 SAGIC Convention is scheduled for Kwazulu Natal in June 2013.
SAGIC 2013 Convention | Program highlights:
Tuesday 4 June(optional)
· Registration @ 17h00
· Dinner: Ayoba @ Zimbali Beach Club
Wednesday 5 June
· Registration @ 8h15
· Opening of Conference @ 9h00
· Keynote speaker: Professor David Block – “The Power of Vision”
· Association & SAGIC AGM’s
· Lunch @ Bite
· SALI Awards of Excellence
· Dinner Celebration Party @ BarBaCao - awesome Argentinian cuisine
Thursday 6 June
· Speaker: TGMA Speaker
· Stop The Spread: Jean Rodal (WESSA) – KZN Information
· Panel Discussion: Water & Invasives
· Lunch @ Coral Tree
· Keynote speaker: Michael Jackson - “The Road Ahead”
· Zimbali Background and walkabout· SAGIC Banquet: 50 Years of Bond @ Marula Ballroom, Zimbali
Friday 7 June
· Breakfast & Check-out
Booking form available on the Downloads page
Convention 2012 Photo's
Thank you for you contribution towards an amazing 2012 Convention in Cape Town. Pictures available on Flickr including Award recipients, Banquet and Urban Park. Feel free to download and share, you don't need an account: Click here
Convention 2012 Details
Guy Lundy is the CEO of Accelerate Cape Town, a business think-tank representing 45 major corporations that brings together key stakeholders in the Cape Town city region to develop and implement a long-term vision for sustainable, inclusive economic growth. He is also a Director of several organisations, including Wesgro, where he is Deputy Chairman, and Cape Town Tourism.
Guy previously ran his own corporate strategy consultancy, helping large companies develop foresight and an understanding of future trends. He has also worked for international firms such as Ernst & Young, Oracle, the London Stock Exchange and Dimension Data, during several years of living on four continents.
Guy was born and raised in Cape Town. He completed his Bachelor of Commerce (Honours) in Economics at UCT and his Masters in Futures Studies at Stellenbosch University. He is the author of two books about South Africa and its future, namely “South Africa: Reasons to Believe” and “South Africa 2014: The Story of our Future”.
In 2009 Guy was listed by Business Day as one of the ‘Top 100 Thinkers in South Africa’.
In 2010 he joined Flow Finders International, having developed the Flow Marketing system. He is regarded as an expert in “customer-company interaction” and has been used as a corporate consultant in the IT, financial and medical industries, as well as being a regular guest speaker at the UCT Graduate School of Business.
Due to his extensive experience (both internationally & in Southern Africa) & intuitive ability to understand each individual audience, he has gained the respect of both his colleagues & clients as a leader in the marketing presentation industry. As an entrepreneur, he has the exceptional entertainment talent & magic skill required to leave his audiences amazed & laughing, but also a thorough understanding of the challenges facing companies today – particularly in sales & marketing.
Gustav was born in the Karoo and the wide open spaces fueled his passionate fire and interest in nature. As ex honorary game ranger with the SA National Parks he spent a lot of time in the bush where he observed and learned from the animals.
Gustav’s talk uses analogies from the bush to suit the requested topic of the presentation. His powerful and riveting presentation uses spectacular video inserts and slides of animal interaction and his different motivational talks cover aspects and topics such as Teamwork, Communication, Problem solving and conflict handling within teams, How to achieve objectives, and How to create a better working environment.
Gustav firmly believes the solution to a lot of problems lie in the African bush, with lessons often spellbinding in their simplicity and with excellent examples of these lessons being practiced on our doorsteps. We only have to open our senses to them. He teaches every individual to take ownership in the organization that he/she works in.
SAGIC Sponsor Partnership Programme 2013
SAGIC is expanding rapidly and we are in the process of re-constructing the SAGIC Sponsor Partnership Programme. It is just simply not possible to offer members a world class annual networking opportunity without some form of sponsorship support.
Longer term plans include events such as a Golf Day and a Spring Ball, as well as a SAGIC Journal. For now we are in a position only to offer sponsors specific benefits at Convention, and it is predominantly brand exposure. However, it is headline exposure we are offering, and other than a proposed Diamond ‘Anchor Sponsorship’ category, no other ad hoc lunch/dinner/drinks sponsorships will be sought at all. Outside of the Diamond level, we envisage four levels of sponsorship including Bronze at R5,000, Silver at R10,000, Gold at R15,000, and Platinum at R35,000, largely targeted at industry role players interested in brand exposure.
The funds will be applied directly to Convention and while we do not envisage a further discounted delegate fee this year, in the (hopeful) event that the Programme is oversold, we will apply any retained funds to Convention 2014 to subsidize the delegate fee.
We hope we can count on your support as a 2013 SAGIC Sponsorship Partner! Please take a moment to inspect the benefits in our download section and confirm your preferred category at your earliest convenience.
SAGIC 2013 Sponsor Partners
- Reliance Compost
- LIFE Landscapes
- LIFE Indoors
- LIFE Sports Turf
- Marina Landscaping
- Tshala Plant Brokers
- Grassnyer Kliniek/Lawnmower Clinic Pretoria
- Just Trees
- Marshall Hinds
The site is mainly for industry members, but consumers are welcome to browse around. Visit the association pages where you will find links to individual association sites with their professional company members. Please support these fine companies and brands. Consumers are also invited to visit the informative Life is a Garden website.
The South African Green Industries Council (SAGIC) is a vibrant, fast-growing umbrella organisation representing the green industry in South Africa. Its primary objectives are to represent the green industry, defend best practice, facilitate issues of national interest pertaining to the green industry, organize and market combined networking opportunities, and to promote gardening and the greening of South Africa.
SAGIC is made up of various disciplines which are major employers of people and the suppliers of products and services into the green market place.
Our Association members are:
IPSA - The Interior Plantscaper's Association
LIA - The Lanscape Irrigation Association
OPPASA - The Outdoor Power Product Association
SALI - South African Landscapers Association
SANA - South African Nursery Association.
TGMA - Turf Grass Managers Association
CGF - The Cape Green Forum
Visit the Membership page for more Association information and links.
Company membership is open to any company who feels they can benefit from a positive association with SAGIC. Some companies identify with SAGIC’s Aims and Objectives and fall outside the scope of the specific Associations. These are the companies for which company membership of SAGIC is available. The cost of such membership shall be based on national or regional nature of the company.